T6854: Modernizing Kontact look

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 24 10:57:09 BST 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  What is it with this infatuation with looking "modern" or "slick"? UI interfaces should look timeless, IMVHO (F3879178: kontact-rjvb.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F3879178>)
  A few quick thoughts:

  - icons: don't force any particular icon theme on users. Not as long as you're using themed icons (= not your own dedicated ones) and Plasma allows users to pick an icon theme (the day that goes out the door, KDE goes off my systems). You wouldn't want to improve inconsistency, would you?
  - palette colours in the message list: OK to use them as the default, but since when does the palette have specific colours for the various email message states? It should remain possible to customise the text attributes in this list (colour, font weight, size and type).

  One area of improvement I may have missed but that doesn't seem to be mentioned: the backdrop image in [https://phabricator.kde.org/file/data/t47r5syqd4zx57rjevpv/PHID-FILE-o5kdshjxiht2u4gp2qru/preview-kontact-modern-2.png]. That looks neither modern nor slick, but ridiculous and stressful (google "visual stress" and Arnold Wilkins). It's beyond me why that area isn't simply filled with an appropriate background colour from the user's colour palette.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T6854