T5852: Abstract from direct use of QtWebEngine

Tobias C. Berner noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 10 17:54:07 BST 2017

tcberner created this task.

TASK DESCRIPTION
  KDEPim started to heavily rely on QtWebEngine. I think it would be better, if an abstraction, say `KWebPage` were introduced, which could be built against `QtWebEngine`, `QtWebKit`, and what ever will be the hot-new-thing two years down the line.

  There are multiple reasons I think this would be a good idea

  - FreeBSD&Co do not have WebEngine -- which blocks us from providing up to date KDEPim. [1], and possibly more applications every new KDE Applications release cycle.
  - Who knows how long WebEngine is //the thing//
  - Less code duplications (every application seems to write more or less the same code to restrict the capabilities of WebEngine)
  - Some people may have [security] concerns with being required to use google code to run KDE

  Such an abstraction was started by @apol for kdevelop in https://phabricator.kde.org/D5042.

  Thoughts?

  [1] I invite people to glance at the chromium sources, before telling me //just port WebEngine to FreeBSD // :)

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T5852