[Differential] [Request, 172 lines] D3432: Initial TOFU support in messageviewer

dvratil (Daniel Vrátil) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 21 10:36:11 GMT 2016

dvratil created this revision.
dvratil added reviewers: aheinecke, knauss.
dvratil set the repository for this revision to rMESSAGELIB PIM: Message Library.
Restricted Application added a project: KDE PIM.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: kde-pim.

REVISION SUMMARY
  When key trust is only marginal, try to use TOFU sign count to figure if we can really trust the key.

  The logic boils down to the following pseudo-code, loosely based on logic in the Outlook PGP plugin from Andre.

    foreach signature {
        if (keyValidity < Marginal) {
            untrusted key, try another signature
            continue
        } else if (keyValidity == Marginal) {
            if (tofu == Conflict) {
                report conflict
                return
            } else if (tofu < LittleHistory) {
                the key is not trusted enough and TOFU does not have enough history, try another signature
                continue
            } else if (tofuSign <= 10) {
                key is not trusted enough and TOFU has too little history. Try to find another signature with better trust or fallback to this one, but sender will be unverfied
                continue
            } else (tofu >= LittleHistory && tofuSign > 10) {
                key is not trusted enough, but TOFU has enough history, accept the sender as verified
                return
            } else {
                 // unreachable
            }
        } else {
            key is well-trusted, use it
            return
        }
    }

  One of the setbacks I noticed so far is that keys that previously were shown in green are now yellow, because there's not enough TOFU history for them. I wonder if we should somehow try to import all emails into TOFU if its enabled...?

REPOSITORY
  rMESSAGELIB PIM: Message Library

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D3432

AFFECTED FILES
  messageviewer/src/messagepartthemes/default/defaultrenderer.cpp
  messageviewer/src/messagepartthemes/default/templates/signedmessagepart.html
  mimetreeparser/src/viewer/messagepart.cpp
  mimetreeparser/src/viewer/messagepart.h

EMAIL PREFERENCES