[Kde-pim] [Differential] [Updated] D1639: Implement opportunistic encryption

aheinecke (Andre Heinecke) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 24 09:21:19 BST 2016

aheinecke added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> dvratil wrote in kmcomposerwin.cpp:3275
> I checked the strings you added in https://phabricator.kde.org/D1642, and I think the strings there make sense as tooltips for the validity icon when used in Kleopatra or other crypto software. I would however find them useless as tooltips to the icons here, because they don't explain what the icon means in *this* context, i.e. that the email will be sent to this particular recipient encrypted with the key. I don't think that you can craft the strings in libkleo in a way that would work everywhere (e.g. both here in composer and in a crypto dialog somewhere in Kleopatra) while still being helpful. I think it would be better to stick with custom more explanatory strings here (we are targeting users with no or very limited knowledge of crypto after all), and I can just use Formatting::iconForUid() to get the icon (so we are consistent across applications in the used icons).

I think the general "This message will be encrypted" already indicates the encryption and the icons are indicators for the validity of the used keys.
Maybe with the icon "gpg" instead of "mail-message" as the base of the overlay we can show more that this icon is crypto related.

With regards to the strings, I'm nor sure about the strings from https://phabricator.kde.org/D1642 either. Björn is creating some mockups for me for https://phabricator.kde.org/T2348 where I have the same challenge to show the validity of a key. This might help us get a better idea how we should communicate it.
Something like "marginal trust" or even the concept of "trust in a key" is still to technical / hard to understand for people we want to get to encrypt and we'll probably end up with more general "Security highest" "Security high" "Security medium" or so and an improved Details dialog that makes the Details more accessible and has place for explanations.

REPOSITORY
  rKDEPIM KDE PIM

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D1639