[Kde-pim] Akonadi keeps re-downloading gigabytes of mail, and other problems

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun May 1 11:32:55 BST 2016

Hi all,

sorry for the silence, only now got a some time to reply. Thanks for taking
the interest.

Dnia środa, 27 kwietnia 2016 11:26:21 CEST piszesz:
> any chance you are talking to a Courier IMAP server? We had some issues with
> Courier IMAP that often caused full resync, but that should be now fixed in
> 16.04.

One is GMail IMAP, no idea what they're using. The other is dovecot IMAP
server. Happens on both.

> Could you run Akonadi from terminal (just open Konsole or something, and run
> "akonadictl restart") and see if there's any output that might indicate why
> the IMAP resource decides to resync or is stuck, or just provide the full
> log up to the point when it breaks?

I'll try, but it's rather random. For instance, right now the resource for the
dovecot IMAP is "stuck", it doesn't even show-up in the list of running
operations when I hit "check mail". If I restart Akonadi it will probably
happily work. So not sure how to test this.

I do seem to have some MySQL error logs though. How should I send these?

Dnia sobota, 30 kwietnia 2016 09:01:28 CEST Daniel Vrátil pisze:
> Any chance you are getting "Duplicate merge candidate" error during the
> synchronization? Either in KMail or in terminal with Akonadi?

How can I check this? Where should I see this in KMail?

> This happens to me extremely rarely nowadays, usually when I do something
> unexpected, like deleting an email from my phone and then deleting it again
> in KMail before it manages to sync the folder...

I only use KMail, I do not use any other means of accessing my e-mail, unless
KMail already refuses to work and I have something very urgent to do -- only
then I use webmail.

> If you run Akonadi in terminal, you should see some debug output from the
> IMAP resource when the sync happens, maybe that could contain some useful
> information.

Will try running it today like this, and if I run into the issue, I'll send
the log your way. How do you want the log sent? It might be too large for an
e-mail.

Dnia sobota, 30 kwietnia 2016 17:11:22 CEST piszesz:
> I also had this problem, that akonadi was dowloading my Sent folder over and
> over again the last days. I fixed it with the deletion of dangling items
> (items that only exist in akonadi). For me there were two items without a
> remoteId, that triggered the resync everytime. The creation of the dangling
> items happend, when my laptop crashed hard with a kernel panic, and left
> akonadi no time to save anything...

This might be part of the problem, I did experience a couple of kernel panics
lately. The problems have started happening also without recent kernel panics,
however.

> Okay here how to search for dangling items:
> (...)
> If this list is not empty after a complete sync (Sync all folders), than it
> is very likely that these items are the reason for the resync.

I have 429 dangling items, apparently.

> But let's look together to your list of dangling items...

How should I send the list your way?

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak