[Kde-pim] Tomboy resource: Integration in KDE

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Jun 28 14:54:19 BST 2016

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:13:24 PM CEST Stefan Staeglich wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Stefan,

> in the last few weeks I have developed a new resource type for Akonadi
> implementing the REST-API of Tomboy, so you can access your notes stored
> e.g. in Grauphel with KNotes or KJots.
>
> Finally I have reached a state where my resource is useable in a productive
> way. Of course there a still missing features (e.g. notes formatting) that I
> want to implement in later versions.

\o/ Great news!

> Now I want to start the integration process. I hope it will become official
> part of Akonadi. What I have to do for this? You can find the source code
> on Github[1].

Cool! To get the resource included in KDE PIM, there are few checkboxes that
need to be checked: first you must be willing to continue maintaining the
resource even after it is included in KDE PIM. Just adding the resource to KDE
repositories does not mean we'll take over and continue maintaining it for
you. It would also be nice if you would get involved a little in other parts
of KDE PIM, but that's not a hard requirement of course. Second, it means
using KDE infrastructure - git, issue tracker, review tool etc., following KDE
Applications release cycle, freezes etc. Since you don't have a KDE account
yet I assume, you would not have a commit access at first - all your patches
must go through review process and someone else will push the commits for you.
After some certain amount of contributions you can request commit access.

So if that's all OK with you, you should upload your resource code to
phabricator.kde.org for review. We will review the code and once it's OK it
will be merged and included in next release.

KDE Applications 16.08 dependency freeze is on July 14. Since you use the
external OAuth library we would need it as a new dependency, so to get the
resource shipped in the August release, we need to hurry a bit. Alternatively
we can wait for Applications/16.08 branching and include the resource after
that only in master branch, so that it will get shipped in KDE Applications
16.12 release in December.

Cheers,
Daniel

> Thanks,
> Stefan
>
> [1] https://github.com/staeglis/tomboynotes

Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683