[Kde-pim] [Differential] [Commented On] D1991: Show a visual component to switch between text/html view for alternative mails

knauss (Sandro Knauß) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jun 25 15:06:01 BST 2016

knauss added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D1991#36690, @colomar wrote:

  > There should never be both the "global" and "local" sidebars be present at the same time, as that would just be confusing.

  jepp, but this "just" removal :D

  First we should decide what kind of interface we want, before I put more effort in it.

  - I would prefer either we go the global sidebar or the inline - I have not strong options for one or the other.
  - I'm against that we have the global sidebar and if there are more alternative the inline sidebar additionally, because I think this is also confusing for the user.
  - If we would go with the global sidbar, than no inline sidebar :D
  - I think the inline sidebar makes it more clear, what is does and indicate better, what part is changed.
  - the inline sidebar is a new element, the global sidebar was already introduced

  > Okay, switching modes separately for attached emails makes sense. I would only show it inline if there are actually multiple alternative parts, however (which I guess is rather the exception than the norm?).

  the box / button is only shown, when there is somthing to switch.

  > The common use case is either you want to see a mail as plain text or as HTML (or actually the most common one is that you show it as plain text by default and then want to switch to HTML if the plain text part isn't really useful, once you've shown it as HTML there is rarely a reason to switch back to plain).

  Hard to say, if you never want to switch back :D The intial problem is because senders of email do not send the a real alternative in the two parts, otherwise you would not need to switch. So maybe you siwtch to the html mail and see, that the plain text part is better readable.

REPOSITORY
  rMESSAGELIB PIM: Message Library

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D1991