[Kde-pim] soversion

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 13:27:39 GMT 2016

Hey,

currently I'm building 15.12 for Debian and we failed completly with bumping
the soversion, in the cases we broke the ABI.

Maybe it is not clear for everyone what the soversion is and we need to bump
it, if we break the ABI:
The soversion is the version of the ABI and has nothing (or nearly nothing) to
do with the version of the lib itself. If the ABI is changes in a incopatible
way the soversion should be updated (+1). This helps a lot for applications to
use the correct version of one lib. A application is linked against the
soversion of one lib. You know this from the libname.so.3 etc. the 3 is the
soversion. So if we release a new a ABI than we create a libname.so.4 and new
compiled application are linked against this now soversion. But also old
application work, because they are linked against the old version and
everything is fine.

Distribution don't want to ship different version of the same lib in most
cases. So a soversion update would trigger a rebuild of all applications that
are using the library.

So until we allow ABI breakage, please take case of the soversion( only one
bump is needed once per release) if you break the ABI by a commit. Maybe we
should add a comment to the soversion, when it was last bumped.

Please don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,

sandro