[Kde-pim] Akonadi-next and KAccounts

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 23 14:50:41 GMT 2016

Hey,

I've been pondering this for a while and here are my thoughts (they
might be ill informed in various ways, please correct me if I'm wrong):
* I don't think this is a cross-platform solution, starting from
libaccounts-glib going over dbus. It seems like a unix only solution to
me.
* For credentials we'll probably want to integrate with whatever is
supported by the platform (native keyrings), and perhaps a fallback
solution that is portable (but I don't know what that would be yet).
* The path to OAUTH is still a bit fuzzy, and libaccounts might help in
this scenario, but the server side is not yet there so it's not an
urgent target for us.
* libaccounts is all in all still a rather heavy dependency with various
components.

This puts libaccounts for me into the "enhanced platform integration"
department, and as such is of low priority for the time being.
I still think the idea of having an accounts based setup is a great one,
and something I definitely hope we can support at some point, but I
don't currently expect this to happen anytime soon.

I think our first step has to be an account setup within kube, with
credential storage somewhere (don't really know where that is yet),
because that's the only really portable solution that get's us started.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Christian