KMail development advice

Leonard Marquitan marquitan1 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 12 09:41:36 BST 2016

Greetings All,

I'm new to KDE development but for my university I was given the task to try
and look into KMail and its ui, so as I struggle through the process of
editing some toolbars or adding new windows I thought it would be best to
ask here for some advice.

I built the whole kdepim project with QtCreator and looked briefly into
everything and from the resources on the internet I get that the ui is
defined via [name]ui.rc files. However, editing those rc files (e.g. the
kmcomposerui.rc) didn't do a thing after rebuilding. I saw that some ui is
defined directly in the cpp files, but all my modification attempts were
disappointing.

Is there anyone willing to provide me with some basic knowledge about the
structure of the ui and the steps that are necessary for my aims?

Thank you in advance, I hope you can tolerate my inexperience.

Leonard