KMail development advice

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 15 20:10:25 BST 2016

Hi Leonard,

On Friday 12 August 2016 10:41:36 Leonard Marquitan wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I'm new to KDE development but for my university I was given the task
> to try and look into KMail and its ui, so as I struggle through the
> process of editing some toolbars or adding new windows I thought it
> would be best to ask here for some advice.

Indeed. If you want more direct advice you could try IRC (channel
#kontact on irc.freenode.org).

> I built the whole kdepim project with QtCreator and looked briefly
> into everything and from the resources on the internet I get that the
> ui is defined via [name]ui.rc files. However, editing those rc files
> (e.g. the kmcomposerui.rc) didn't do a thing after rebuilding. I saw
> that some ui is defined directly in the cpp files, but all my
> modification attempts were disappointing.
>
> Is there anyone willing to provide me with some basic knowledge about
> the structure of the ui and the steps that are necessary for my aims?

Actually, those .rc files are not compiled. They are read when the
application is started. More importantly, the files are copied from the
installation directory to the user's kmail2 configuration directory on
the first start. I guess that's why changing the files has no effect on
your system because the copies in your kmail2 configuration directory
override the changes you made to the installed .rc files.

On my pre-KF5 system the files are located in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2/.

> Thank you in advance, I hope you can tolerate my inexperience.

No need to apologize. All of us started this way.

Regards,
Ingo