[Kde-pim] qt logging categories

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 01:15:01 BST 2016

Hey,

currently every pim module uses a toplevel name for qt logging like
log_mimetreeparser, lob_messageviewer,... So to disable every debug message
for kdepim means that you need to name everything by hand. Together with the
fact that Qt ships debug on by default - means we end up with many many
systems debuging like hell. Because many distributions says, that they don't
change the default qt behaviour and creating a file with all the categories is
also unhandy.

But there is a easy solution for this. The main idea with this categories is
that they can represent a hierarchy. I would suggest at least to prefix
everything with "pim." -> "pim.messageviewer", "pim.mimetreeparser"

With that enable/disable debug for pim complety is easy:
pim.*.debug=false/true

akonadi can be also one toplevelname but nothing more.

I'm happy to think also about a more structured hierarchy... Currently I have
not thought about other usecases, what further subhirarchy would make sense.
Maybe application logs and libriary logs,...

Regards,

sandro