[Kde-pim] QT 5.6.0

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 18:11:06 BST 2016

On April 15, 2016 2:29:48 PM GMT+02:00, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> [...]
>the CI.
>You are working with those people in some way, even if you choose to
>ignore it
>apparently.
>
>And you like complaining about the lack of help you get on KDEPIM? Then
>think
>about Scarlett and Ben who have to run the CI and deal with the
>dependencies
>there. Think about the amount of requests and pressure they get from
>all the
>people having a KDE repository. And now try to picture that you broke a
>
>sizeable share of what the CI does for others and they will have to
>deal with
>it.
>
>So not only they don't get enough help on the CI, like you on KDEPIM...
>but on
>top of that your unilateral decision here and your unwillingness to
>cooperate
>generate even more work for them. It'd be somewhat similar to having
>someone
>just starting committing random stuff in the kdepim repositories which
>you
>don't like, without talking to you about it, and refusing to revert
>those
>changes. It's not lack of help anymore at that point, it's actively
>generating
>extra problems for others.
>
>You are part of a larger community, please don't forget it.
>
>> > that's the price
>> > to pay to have one day a useful CI for KDEPIM.
>> >
>> > Note that a "useful CI for KDEPIM" is badly needed if we want to
>have the
>> > faintest chance of reworking the applications architecture as
>discussed
>> > during the sprint. It is *that* important.
>>
>> For sure it's important.
>
>Then start acting like it is important to you indeed.

>with
>release
>> >
>> > You really should look at the situation in a less binary way...
>master
>> > could start depending on Qt 5.6 at some point, maybe even before
>august
>> > who knows.
>>
>> As you write Nobody knows.
>>
>> > But this needs to be discussed and orchestrated properly to not
>> > generate pain for everyone else but you.
>>
>> As all discussions it will be an endless discussion as I need it and
>during
>> this time it will just me which works on kdepim as usual...
>
>Really... in this thread I've seen you mostly writing in term of "I
>want",
>"I", "me"... it's disappointing to say the least. Also, as long as you
>think
>solely along those lines it will indeed generate endless discussions
>and you
>will be alone working on the code.
>
>I think that's two things you don't like... but you are in part

I'm with Laurent on this. It's unfortunate that Laurent didn't check with the CI people first and maybe waited a week or two until requiring Qt 5.6, the argument that we should not switch to a new dependency just because it's "too new" is IMO wrong. I would object to a dependency on an unreleased version, but I don't see any problem with this.

Laurent is the maintainer, if he says that his software has a new dependency, as a developer I just accept that and update my system accordingly, even if it's a major one (especially since I know I'll have to do it anyway sooner or later).

Switch from webkit to webengine is a major one, the more time we get to test it the better.

Dan

>Regards.
>--
>Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net