[Kde-pim] QT 5.6.0

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 09:02:33 BST 2016

Le vendredi 15 avril 2016, 09:36:39 CEST Kevin Funk a écrit :
> On Friday, April 15, 2016 9:11:54 AM CEST laurent Montel wrote:

> > > I think depending on Qt 5.6 (which is just a few weeks(!) old) is indeed
> > > not a good idea, even in master.
> > >
> > > The qtwebengine support is still optional (i.e. messagelib can be
> > > compiled
> > > without, right?),
> >
> > It will not in some weeks as it limits me to finish support so not.
> >
> > > so why force 5.6 on users just because of an optional
> > > dependency? You should try to keep it optional for the time being.
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > > I'm also saying this as developer who (sometimes) compiles kdepim. Not
> > > even
> > > Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (unreleased) ships Qt 5.6, thus I wouldn't be able to
> > > kdepim against my distro Qt.
> >
> > 16.04 is the last released version.
>
> Let me just say:
>
> I agree with Sandro, I don't think this is a particularly clever move. This
> raises the bar for (potential) contributors quite a bit, even for me(!)
> who's usually compiling KDE master against distro Qt. Following the KF5
> minimum Qt requirements is usually a good thing (Qt 5.4 atm).

Plasma depends against on qt5.5 and it will depend against 5.6.1 when release
(as I read).
So Qt5.4 is not the minimum requires.
After that I worked to port to qtwebengine and my focus for 16.08 is to
migrate all to qtwebengine.
So I will not wait 2 years to make it.
I work a lot on it so I will switch in several weeks.

I worked a lot on qtwebengine now I can't continue if I don't increase
dependancy so for sure I will do.

So I decided to prepare it to increase dependancy,

> Since I'm not involved in any kdepim development at the moment

indeed.

> , take this
> with a grain of salt.

Indeed.
I am my plan for 16.08 I will continue this plan.

If you want to continue to use master you need qt5.6 (and I am sure that you
have it on your computer or you are able to build it).

Regards.