[Kde-pim] QT 5.6.0

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 08:36:39 BST 2016

On Friday, April 15, 2016 9:11:54 AM CEST laurent Montel wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 avril 2016, 08:55:37 CEST Kevin Funk a écrit :
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > CI needs to install it.

> > > Because in some weeks we will depend against qtwebengine 5.6
> >
> > I think depending on Qt 5.6 (which is just a few weeks(!) old) is indeed
> > not a good idea, even in master.
> >
> > The qtwebengine support is still optional (i.e. messagelib can be compiled
> > without, right?),
>
> It will not in some weeks as it limits me to finish support so not.
>
> > so why force 5.6 on users just because of an optional
> > dependency? You should try to keep it optional for the time being.
>
> Nope.
>
> > I'm also saying this as developer who (sometimes) compiles kdepim. Not
> > even
> > Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (unreleased) ships Qt 5.6, thus I wouldn't be able to
> > kdepim against my distro Qt.
>
> 16.04 is the last released version.

Let me just say:

I agree with Sandro, I don't think this is a particularly clever move. This
raises the bar for (potential) contributors quite a bit, even for me(!) who's
usually compiling KDE master against distro Qt. Following the KF5 minimum Qt
requirements is usually a good thing (Qt 5.4 atm).

Since I'm not involved in any kdepim development at the moment, take this with
a grain of salt.

Regards,
Kevin