[Kde-pim] Akonadi Kolab resource notes handling

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Apr 25 12:38:55 BST 2016

On 2016-04-25 13:20, Ing. Konrad Renner wrote:
> Hi everybody!

Hi!

> I am the maintainer of the Kolab Notes Android app. If you don't know
> the app, its usecase is to be a oss note taking app for Android which
> uses the kolab v3 storage format to sync the notes with a Kolab or IMAP
> server.

Thanks for the app, I use it a lot, it works great!

> The next version will add attachment support and sync of the
> attachments. Attachments will be stored as mail attachments, in the
> kolab.xml there will a reference to the attachment via the content-id,
> as described in the kolab storage format.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Is there support for note attachments in the Kolab Akonadi resource?

The Akonadi Kolab resources uses libkolabxml and libkolab libraries to
convert from the Kolab XML format to respective domain objects, so I
guess this is up to Kolab people to implement if necessary (but if Kolab
supports attachments in notes I assume the library does so too).

> How are attachments handled in Akonadi note client apps (KJots, KNotes,
> Renku)? What happens if an Akonadi note client app does not support
> attachments and a note will be edited in such an app? Will the
> attachments remain or will they be removed from the note?

KJots and KNotes don't support attachments in notes (i.e. there is no
UI for that), don't know how about Renku.

I haven't tested how the apps handle notes with attachments, since my
Kolab webinterface does not seem to support them (yet? Or maybe I just
need to update...). But I guess if you could create a bunch of test
notes with attachments in the Kolab XML format and send them to me (or
to this list), I can try upload them to my Kolab server and see how we
the apps can deal with them.

We use KMime library to handle notes, which is primarily an email
library so it handles attachments just fine. The question is whether
the applications expect "multipart" notes and can edit the correct part
or even show the note at all.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil