[Kde-pim] Akonadi taking HUGE place in $HOME

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Sep 3 00:09:56 BST 2015

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:12:14 AM CEST Yves Caniou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, it's been a very long time: I wanted to backup everything, and be
> sure to have time to restore.
>
> Le lundi 16 mars 2015 17:06:18 Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > Am Montag, 16. März 2015, 10:08:10 schrieb Yves Caniou:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > HI Yves,
> >
> > > $ du -h ~/.local/share/akonadi
> > > 14G     /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi
> > >
> > > and the directory was created only 17days ago.
> > >
> > > Is there a mean to limit the place taken by akonadi?
> > > -- I removed this directory weighting more than 30GB 17days ago...
> >
> > Now this *is large*, but it is not a new issue.
> >
> > > In https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi, it is said to change
> > > the settings innodb_log_file_size, but the value is only set to 64M
> > > already (in /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf btw, not in
> > > ~/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf, but unsure if the location here
> > > matters).
> > >
> > > I'm running app-office/akonadi-server-1.13.0 from Gentoo.
> > > I also have kde-base/akonadiconsole-4.14.3 installed, in case that might
> > > help.
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > First, please share details on your setup, expecially mail account size
> > and configuration, for example do you use offline IMAP or not. Versions of
> > Akonadi, KMail…
>
> At the moment, I use the following:
> - app-office/akonadi-server 1.13.0-r1
> - kde-base/kmail 4.14.8

There was a know bug in Akonadi 1.13.0 that caused Akonadi to not clean up old
data files. If your distributions still ships Akonadi 1.13, please poke them
to add commit 9c0dc6b3f0826d32eac310b2e7ecd858ca3df681 to their packaging
which fixes the problem. The fix is also included in latest 15.08 release.

Dan

> > Second, please review kdepim-users mailing list for the thread
> >
> > [kdepim-users] Work-around to issues with Akonadi file based caching
> >
> > and look out for the size of the file_db_data directory. The work-around I
> > mentioned there has other draw backs as having mails temporarily cached
> > only in database instead of in separate files which can be an issue for
> > write caching.
> >
> > Please add your findings to the approbiate bug reports I mentioned there.
> > Please include all the necessary details as outlined before and also use
> > from of the commands I used in there to give details on space usage. With
> > your data added, I think we can set the bug reports to confirmed. But well
> > then it needs someone to fix it or to making amount of caching
> > configurable.
> >
> > From what I experienced myself and read from others there is definately an
> > issue with the amount of caching that Akonadi does even in the case of
> > IMAP with no offline caching.
> >
> > From what I gathered there are several issues at play, at least:
> >
> > 1) In the case of online IMAP with large accounts  Akonadi caches too much
> > and for long.
> >
> > 2) In the case of moving mails from IMAP to local maildir Akonadi write
> > caches far too long.
> >
> > 3) Akonadi seems to loose track of files in file_db_data which lets the
> > directory grow to extreme large sizes. akonadictl fsck will move files it
> > lost track of to some lost+found directory in there, there you can delete
> > them.
>
> akonadictl fsck didn't work at first.
> I thus did akonadictl stop ; akonadictl fsck, which didn't seem to have any
> further effect. Then akonadictl start ; akonadictl fsck
> And that happens! Many files were not referenced:
>
> du -h ~/.local/share/akonadi
> 2,2G    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> 113G    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found
> 4,0K    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> 110M    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi
> 315M    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/db_data
> 116G    /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi
>
> I just erased the useless 113G.
> Feeling lighter, with an only 250G HD..
>
> Many thanks!
>
> .Y
>
> > So or so, I think the issues are sufficiently confirmed, but they still
> > need someone to fix them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> > GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Daniel Vrátil
Email: dvratil at kde.org
Jabber: dan.vratil at kdetalk.net
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi)