[Kde-pim] kde-pim mailing list archives

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 26 19:39:53 GMT 2015

On Wednesday 21 October 2015 13:11:17 Volker Krause wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2015 12:28:57 Andre Heinecke wrote:
> > Hi Volker (as kde-pim list admin),
> >
> > I've noticed that the kde-pim mailing list does not have an
> > accessible archive available under:
> >
> > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-pim/
> >
> > I've asked sysadmin's as I thought this was an Infrastructure issue
> > but>
> > received the following response:
> > > This is a known issue - archiving is not enabled for kde-pim so we
> > > don't have anything for it.
> > > Please contact the kde-pim list administrators, and have them
> > > enable
> > > archiving. If we want to catch up with old archives, that is
> > > possible
> > > provided someone provides an MBox of prior postings to the mailing
> > > list.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Ben
> >
> > Is there a reason why the Archive is not enabled? I find it useful
> > some times to link to archived mails and would prefer to have it
> > available. :-)
> I have no idea, sorry. This is how I inherited it from Cornelius, I'm
> just a human spam filter here ;)
>
> I vaguely remember that KDE Mailman archiving was done by some
> external service rather than the usual Mailman archive feature,
> globally, but Ben's response sounds very different.

lists.kde.org used to be an alias for marc.info. The sysadmins had to
change this because they could not comply with requests for removal
(because they have no control over marc.info).

lists.kde.org URLs now either redirect to our own archives (if they
exist) or to MARC. http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim redirects to MARC.
The problem is that the "kde-pim Archives" link points to mailman's
standard archive location at http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-pim/.
Unfortunately, this cannot redirect to http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim
because "lists.kde.org is a redirector to mail.kde.org" (cyclic
redirect).

The sysadmins suggested as correct fix to:
<quote>
a) Enable local archiving
b) Populate historical postings from someone's personal archives. David
Faure managed to sort out MarkMail with quite a few mailing lists, so I
imagine mboxes are available with a fairly detailed history in places.

This will have to be done on a list by list basis.
</quote>

Alternatively, do what I've done for the kdepim-users list, i.e.
manually point to the external archive. (See
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users)

Regards,
Ingo