[Kde-pim] KHolidays release

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue May 5 15:05:15 BST 2015

On Sunday, May 03, 2015 07:27:14 PM John Layt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi John,

> I've found some time this long weekend to get back on to the KF5
> release of KHolidays. I pushed a refreshed version of the commits to
> kholidays/kf5-port3 [1]. I've also posted all the changes to
> ReviewBoard.

\o/

> I've been thinking about the GUi widget and Qt Designer plugin I
> provide, the consequence of which is that KHolidays becomes a Tier 4
> library when really it could easily be a Tier 1 library. I could split
> the single solitary widget out into a separate library, but that seems
> overkill. I could port it to using Qt-only widgets, but then I lose
> some nice auto-complete stuff and still need QtGui and QtDesigner as a
> dependency when just QtCore would be nice.

I don't see a problem with libKF5HolidayWidgets that would link against QtGui.
It's not *that* much work (in terms of CMake etc.), and it would solve the
problem. Is the QtDesigner dependency needed just for exposing the widget in
QtDesigner? There is already the DesignerPlugins framework so we could just
add it there (and make it depend on KHolidays) and get rid of that dependency
in KHolidays.

> The only place the widget
> is currently used is in the Plasma calendar, so I could move it there,
> but it's also intended to be used in KOrganiser once it supports
> multiple holiday regions. Ideally I guess there would be a KPimWidgets
> library that provides a bunch of other basic PIM widgets as well, are
> there any plans for this? Or other suggestions?  The other step needed
> for Tier 1 status would be porting away from Ki18n.

On the last PIM sprint we discussed that we will most probably end up with
libkdepim library, which would be...well, basically a dumping ground for all
stuff that is needed by multiple PIM apps and does not fit into any specific
framework/PIM library.

> The final step before release would be to update the code style to
> match KF5 standards.

There should be a script in kde-dev-scripts to do so.

Cheers,
Daniel