[Kde-pim] Akonadi taking HUGE place in $HOME

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Mar 16 16:06:18 GMT 2015

Am Montag, 16. März 2015, 10:08:10 schrieb Yves Caniou:
> Hi,

HI Yves,

> $ du -h ~/.local/share/akonadi
> 14G     /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi
>
> and the directory was created only 17days ago.
>
> Is there a mean to limit the place taken by akonadi?
> -- I removed this directory weighting more than 30GB 17days ago...

Now this *is large*, but it is not a new issue.

> In https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi, it is said to change
> the settings innodb_log_file_size, but the value is only set to 64M
> already (in /home/ycaniou/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf btw, not in
> ~/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf, but unsure if the location here
> matters).
>
> I'm running app-office/akonadi-server-1.13.0 from Gentoo.
> I also have kde-base/akonadiconsole-4.14.3 installed, in case that might
> help.
>
> Any help appreciated.

First, please share details on your setup, expecially mail account size
and configuration, for example do you use offline IMAP or not. Versions of
Akonadi, KMail…

Second, please review kdepim-users mailing list for the thread

[kdepim-users] Work-around to issues with Akonadi file based caching

and look out for the size of the file_db_data directory. The work-around I
mentioned there has other draw backs as having mails temporarily cached
only in database instead of in separate files which can be an issue for
write caching.

Please add your findings to the approbiate bug reports I mentioned there.
Please include all the necessary details as outlined before and also use
from of the commands I used in there to give details on space usage. With
your data added, I think we can set the bug reports to confirmed. But well
then it needs someone to fix it or to making amount of caching configurable.

From what I experienced myself and read from others there is definately an
issue with the amount of caching that Akonadi does even in the case of
IMAP with no offline caching.

From what I gathered there are several issues at play, at least:

1) In the case of online IMAP with large accounts  Akonadi caches too much
and for long.

2) In the case of moving mails from IMAP to local maildir Akonadi write
caches far too long.

3) Akonadi seems to loose track of files in file_db_data which lets the
directory grow to extreme large sizes. akonadictl fsck will move files it
lost track of to some lost+found directory in there, there you can delete
them.

So or so, I think the issues are sufficiently confirmed, but they still need
someone to fix them.

Thanks,