[Kde-pim] Akonadi taking HUGE place in $HOME

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Mar 31 12:49:41 BST 2015

Am Dienstag, 31. März 2015, 13:09:31 schrieb Yves Caniou:
> Hi
>
> Please if answering, can you add me to the destinaries, I had to google
> because I found hard not having a message from the list :)
>
> > Am Freitag, 27. März 2015, 17:53:35 schrieben Sie:
> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > Sorry being so long to answer.

> > > And it's going larger unfortunately:
> > >
> > > $ du -h .local/share/akonadi
> > > 20G     .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> > > 4,0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> > > 102M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi
> > > 306M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
> > > 21G     .local/share/akonadi
> > >
> > > $ du -h .local/share/local-mail
> > > 904M    .local/share/local-mail/
> >
> > Wow.
[…]

> > > The 3 main accounts are IMAPS,
> > > 1- 548MiB + off-line use
> > > 2- 36MiB
> > > 3- 217MiB + off-line use
> >
> > So you have less than 2 GiB of mail and Akonadi uses 20 GiB to manage
> > that? That appears to be way too much.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > > Kmail is v-4.14.3
> > > akonadi-server is v-1.13.0
> > >
> > > Finding these information lead me to see that there is an optionnal
> > > "complete text indexation" that is ON.
> > > What is this option really doing? Could it be that turning OFF would
> > > solve the thing?
> >
> > I bet you have Baloo already as you are using Plasma / KDE SC 4.14.
> > The
> > email index is in
> >
> > martin at merkaba:~/.local/share/baloo> LANG=C du -sch email/* | sort -rh
> > 1.1G    total
> > 587M    email/postlist.DB
> > 497M    email/termlist.DB
> > 21M     email/record.DB
> > 8.0K    email/termlist.baseB
> > 8.0K    email/termlist.baseA
> > 4.0K    email/record.baseB
> > 4.0K    email/record.baseA
> > 4.0K    email/iamchert
> > 12K     email/postlist.baseB
> > 12K     email/postlist.baseA
> > 0       email/flintlock
>
> I have indeed, and didn't know that there was email-related stuff also
> there. $ du -h ~/.local/share/baloo
> 423M    .local/share/baloo
>
> Space disk is leaking from everywhere...

However thats not much for a full mail and local file index, I´d say.

> > And you use offline IMAP already, so Akonadi will cache all mails
> > locally anyway. Otherwise using Baloo for mail indexing means that
> > Baloo will get every mail and thus Akonadi will download and cache it
> > for Baloo and eventually release it again from the cache later on.
> >
> > Anyway, you can disable mail indexing from system settings, but I
> > doubt it would change your Akonadi related storage size issue.
>
> Ok. I will do that and see what happens for the next days.

Well I wouldn´t. Cause I love the full text index on all mails :)

> > > I just read the exchanges.
> > > I'll wait for an answer about the option mentionned above.
> > > Depending on that, I'll first run the
> > > akonadictl fsck then akonadi vacuum and see what's happening.
> > > Depending on the results after a few days, try the SizeThreshold and
> > > the manipulation and come back with the results.
> >
> > If most of your mails are below 32 KiB then the SizeThreshold=32768
> > thing can help you, I think. But then Akonadi will cache mails up to
> > that case in database which makes recovery a bit more difficult than
> > from file_db_data.
> >
> > Anyway, I think thats enough confirmation that file_db_data cache can
> > grow out of hand. Yet, it will be interesting to see the effect on
> > akonadictl fsck. If the file count in file_db_data goes down
> > considerably, then it further reaffirms my idea that Akonadi looses
> > track of files in file_db_data and doesn´t clean those files up
> > anymore unless you fsck it.
> Should I do this first before getting ride of the indexing, after?
> I thought that baloo was there to replace akonadi because people were
> kind of fed up to see all good application going into trouble because
> of it -- at least that's what comes out from looking around on the
> net...

Your choice.

As written disabling mail indexing may help as then Baloo doesn´t try to
load each mail to index it. But I think the main issue is with Akonadi´s
file_db_data handling.

So I´d go for this

1) akonadictl fsck – of course with du and find | wc -l on file_db_data
before and after. Note there likely will be a file_db_data-lost+found
directory, you will need to move it out of the way or delete it in order
for measuring what space you will gain.

2) akonadictl vacuum – of course with du on db_data before and after.

If that works to make it smaller, I´d wait whether it grows larger again
like before. If so, I´d try the SizeThreshold=32768 thing, followed by a
fsck and vacuum.

But as we are all just work-arounding a deeper issue in Akonadi, its your
call.

Also I have written everything I know n this and other threads on kde-pim
and kdepim-users already. I am really not into hand holding or
guarenteering any outcomes here. Its your call what to try.

Thanks,