[Kde-pim] Akonadi taking HUGE place in $HOME

Yves Caniou yves.caniou at ens-lyon.fr
Tue Mar 31 12:09:31 BST 2015

Hi

Please if answering, can you add me to the destinaries, I had to google
because I found hard not having a message from the list :)

> Am Freitag, 27. März 2015, 17:53:35 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Sorry being so long to answer.

> > > HI Yves,

> > > Now this *is large*, but it is not a new issue.
> >
> > And it's going larger unfortunately:
> >
> > $ du -h .local/share/akonadi
> > 20G     .local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
> > 4,0K    .local/share/akonadi/db_misc
> > 102M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi
> > 306M    .local/share/akonadi/db_data
> > 21G     .local/share/akonadi
> >
> > $ du -h .local/share/local-mail
> > 904M    .local/share/local-mail/
>
> Wow.

And it gained 2GB since..

> > > First, please share details on your setup, expecially mail account
> > > size
> > > and configuration, for example do you use offline IMAP or not.
> > > Versions of Akonadi, KMail…
> >
> > The 3 main accounts are IMAPS,
> > 1- 548MiB + off-line use
> > 2- 36MiB
> > 3- 217MiB + off-line use
>
> So you have less than 2 GiB of mail and Akonadi uses 20 GiB to manage
> that? That appears to be way too much.

Indeed.

> > Kmail is v-4.14.3
> > akonadi-server is v-1.13.0
> >
> > Finding these information lead me to see that there is an optionnal
> > "complete text indexation" that is ON.
> > What is this option really doing? Could it be that turning OFF would
> > solve the thing?
>
> I bet you have Baloo already as you are using Plasma / KDE SC 4.14. The
> email index is in
>
> martin at merkaba:~/.local/share/baloo> LANG=C du -sch email/* | sort -rh
> 1.1G    total
> 587M    email/postlist.DB
> 497M    email/termlist.DB
> 21M     email/record.DB
> 8.0K    email/termlist.baseB
> 8.0K    email/termlist.baseA
> 4.0K    email/record.baseB
> 4.0K    email/record.baseA
> 4.0K    email/iamchert
> 12K     email/postlist.baseB
> 12K     email/postlist.baseA
> 0       email/flintlock

I have indeed, and didn't know that there was email-related stuff also there.
$ du -h ~/.local/share/baloo
423M    .local/share/baloo

Space disk is leaking from everywhere...

> And you use offline IMAP already, so Akonadi will cache all mails locally
> anyway. Otherwise using Baloo for mail indexing means that Baloo will get
> every mail and thus Akonadi will download and cache it for Baloo and
> eventually release it again from the cache later on.
>
> Anyway, you can disable mail indexing from system settings, but I doubt it
> would change your Akonadi related storage size issue.

Ok. I will do that and see what happens for the next days.

> > > Second, please review kdepim-users mailing list for the thread
> > >
> > > [kdepim-users] Work-around to issues with Akonadi file based caching
> >
> > I just read the exchanges.
> > I'll wait for an answer about the option mentionned above.
> > Depending on that, I'll first run the
> > akonadictl fsck then akonadi vacuum and see what's happening.
> > Depending on the results after a few days, try the SizeThreshold and the
> > manipulation and come back with the results.
>
> If most of your mails are below 32 KiB then the SizeThreshold=32768 thing
> can help you, I think. But then Akonadi will cache mails up to that case
> in database which makes recovery a bit more difficult than from
> file_db_data.
>
> Anyway, I think thats enough confirmation that file_db_data cache can grow
> out of hand. Yet, it will be interesting to see the effect on akonadictl
> fsck. If the file count in file_db_data goes down considerably, then it
> further reaffirms my idea that Akonadi looses track of files in
> file_db_data and doesn´t clean those files up anymore unless you fsck it.

Should I do this first before getting ride of the indexing, after?
I thought that baloo was there to replace akonadi because people were kind of
fed up to see all good application going into trouble because of it -- at
least that's what comes out from looking around on the net...

Many thanks.

.Y