[Kde-pim] How to pinpoint issues with KMail + Akonadi in order to make bug reports more actionable (was: Re: KMail seems to loose connection to Akonadi at times)

Sandro Knauß mail at sandroknauss.de
Thu Mar 12 16:37:54 GMT 2015

Hey,

> Heck, I am willing to put answers into the wiki in some structured way. So
> please give some hints. Up so far I didn´t found any comprehense page on
> this. Just hints here and there and trying to fiddle around myself with
> Akonadiconsole myself without understanding half of what I have been
> doing?

+1

I started already writing it down how to get usefull informations from
kdepim+akonadi[1]. Maybe you can take this as stating point.

Mostly for a noresponing akonadi<->kmail the interessting tabs in
akonadiconsole are debugger and job tracker. Both must be activate before
akonadi get in the "nonresponing" state.

Othe the jobtracker shows one running job when it gets in the "nonresponing"
state. Often this job is the source of the problem or one from above - does
one fails?

The debugger is good to see if there is any messages going from/to a client
and akonadi. That is also very helpfull if you want to make sure if a client
is sending something or got response from akonadi.

> 1) How do I see the state of Akonadi and whether it is stuck somewhere?

The only way i know it try if akonadi is doing something, if you trigger it (
for example a complete resync). You can do this from the resource tab in
akonadiconsole. and than look to the job tracker/debugger

> 2) How do I see whether Akonadi and the maildir resource still talk to
> each other?

trigger a sync and see in the debugger/jobtracker , if akonadi is doning
something for the maildir resource.

> 3) How do I see whether the maildir resource is stuck?

jobtracker and or trigger.

> 4) How do I see whether the IMAP resource for the smaller IMAP account is
> still sane?

> 5) How can I see that KMail and Akonadi can still talk to each other?
debugger, kmail tab

> 6) How can I see that Akonadi and MySQL database are still fine with one
> another (I bet they are in this case)?

Reagds,

sandro

[1] https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/Bug_Reports