[Kde-pim] Applications 15.08, KF5 PIM and libkolab

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Jul 15 13:05:50 BST 2015

Hello PIMsters,

I'm writing this mail to ask some questions, both as forum admin guy (user
support) and as a distro guy (openSUSE).

The PIM suite is heading to Applications 15.08 as KF5-based, and the latest
bits are being ported (Dan just merged libkgapi frameworks to master). All
that's left on the "big scale" wrt external dependencies is libkolab.

There is a "frameworks" branch on the kolabsys git, but I'm fairly sure it's
somewhat behind the Qt4 branch atm. My question and issue is that IMO there
should be at least a beta libkolab for Qt5 by the time the KF5 PIM is out,
otherwise *every* Kolab resource of *every* person that upgrades will be
broken.

Both as a distro person and as a user support guy I really don't want to deal
with that fallout. ;) Can plans for a Qt5-based libkolab be shared? Can we get
something out in time that wouldn't resort running off git (like I'm doing at
the moment)[1]? Pretty please? ;)

[1] Because the worst that could happen without a release would be distros
packaging git snapshots.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter