[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 18:26:24 BST 2015

Hi,

over the past 19 years KMail has accumulated a few features that have been
needed and useful at some point, but have become obsolete for various reasons.
They clutter the UI and increase the amount of code that has to be maintained.
At the PIM meeting at Akademy we therefore discussed to be slightly more
aggressive than so far in cleaning this up.

Examples of things that are already gone:
- tip of the day (got out of fashion after the 90s)
- local sendmail support (not shipped/installed by modern distros)
- system speaker beep notifications (dysfunctional with semi-recent hardware)

Here's a few more ideas:
- application-local network proxy settings, seems of questionable value with
most network I/O actually happening elsewhere. System proxy settings should
cover this.
- there's 5 checkboxes to enable different Outlook/Exchange compatibility
aspects of iTip messages. If that's needed at all nowadays, there should be
just one.
- configurable host name for SMTP, even changeable per identity??
- external composer editor support
- customizable Message-Id prefix
- show user agent in fancy header option, if you really care about that, look
at the message source. Same for the "all headers" header style.

More ideas? Objections? :)

regards,
Volker