[Kde-pim] how does kmail find face-like images from mail senders ?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Jul 24 11:22:00 BST 2015

On Friday, July 24, 2015 01:00:15 AM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 20 July 2015 15:15:36 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 July 2015 23:33:42 Martin Koller wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've seen that kmail displays a senders "face" icon in the "fancy
> > > headers"
> > > style in the top right corner.
> > > I know this feature from earlier kmail versions which used the X-face
> > > mail
> > > header. However the mails I see an image do not have an X-face or
> > > similar
> > > header. I also know that kmail checks the address books for images, but
> > > find images from people in KDE mailing lists which I do not have in my
> > > address book. So my question, how does kmail find the image to a person
> > > ?
> >
> > Afaik Laurent added support for gravatar.com
>
> Yeah, I also was very surprised to see that. And I'm shocked that this is
> enabled by default. This is completely against KMail's traditional choice of
> default settings: no rendering of HTML message by default, no fetching of
> external references in HTML message by default (if HTML is enabled), no
> automatic MDNs.
>
> Obviously, I haven't been KMail's maintainer for a long time, but I would
> never have enabled an option by default which automatically makes a
> connection to an external website as soon as a message is displayed for
> fetching some stupid picture because the image lookup allows tracking
> whether people have opened a message. Direct marketing companies would love
> this feature if Outlook supported it (and had enabled it by default). This
> is so not okay. I am seriously disappointed.

He who codes, decides.

But I agree, this should become an off-by-default option. Ingo, I bet it's a
simple change to add this, could we do that instead of complaining about
Laurent's work? I'm positively sure that he did not intend to upset anyone,
being disappointed in him does not help the project at all. Better raise the
issue and then go to actually fix it.

Maybe someone can even add more providers in the future, like https://
www.libravatar.org/, or similar.
--