[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 06:42:59 BST 2015

Le Saturday 01 August 2015, 18:03:04 Sandro Knauß a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> > But for me the real problem is not to reduce code, but perhaps be able to
> > have more developers and we need to have developer will work during all
> > the
> > year and not just during sprint or akademy.
>
> Yes you are right, i also see this as the main problem of our team. But
> anyhow we should actually either find new devs or we have to reduce the
> codebase that is mantainable.

As I wrote reduce codebase is  really reduce it so remove all header theme and
not just a specific header theme. But it's not realistic.

> > Because if we remove some part of code but we don't have more developer I
> > don't see how it will improve situation no ?
>
> well code per developers gets better - less code lesser bugs -> improve the
> code qualaty. That is actually the idea behind it. For sure one line of code
> is not equal.
>
> > To improve the situation we need real maintainer for several part of code
> > for example for all resources because for the moment as we have a lot of
> > part of code which are not maintaining.
> > I read a lot of bug report about kmail but it's not kmail but some bugs in
> > resources for example.
>
> I see resources also as "features" from akonadi - so yeah we should also
> reduce the list of supported resources, if we can't handle them.

If we can't maintain it.
For me another example is IMAP it's not maintain but not sure that we will
remove it :)

> > Removing codes can be sense sometime but if nobody fixes existing bug it
> > will not improve the situation.
>
> But we are unable to fix bugs, because we have no time to do that, because
> the workload is to much for each of us - Or Not? I strongly recommend to
> focus at the moment at bugfixing instead of adding new features.

But for sure I will not focus my time on only bug fixing. I do 50% of bug
fixing 50% of new features.
And I will never do 100% bug fixing otherwise I will stop to work on kdepim.

> On the
> other hand I know nobody, that is not focusing at bugfixing, so how we can
> impove  the situation from our side?

Find new dev ?

> Me and Christian are still busy in fixing bugs for munic. I hope we can
> push/prepare our bugfixes to kdepim at randa.

It's another problem as you forked kdepim you wait 6-8 months to push your
bugs fixing so sometime I lost my time to fix already fix bug in your
branch...

> Don't be scared this time it
> is a lot less code, because there are nearly no new feauteres.

As usual: reviewboad + unittest :) so it's not a problem :)

Regards

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr