[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 14:44:54 BST 2015

Hello,

I think there's a point which needs addressing in here so replying separately
to it.

On Saturday 01 August 2015 14:32:27 laurent Montel wrote:
> [...]
> But removing code as ' "all headers" header style ' will not cleanup code or
> makes it easy to maintain kmail.
> It's just a little class in messageviewer.

It'll improve usability though. As Volker mentioned there's no point in
keeping it as it doesn't make sense nowadays, so why put that in front of a
user in the first place?

Anyway, this is just an example, I don't want to focus too much on it, I'm
more interested in the broader issue.

> [...]
> But for me the real problem is not to reduce code, but perhaps be able to
> have more developers and we need to have developer will work during all the
> year and not just during sprint or akademy.
>
> Because if we remove some part of code but we don't have more developer I
> don't see how it will improve situation no ?

The thing is that in reality, it's not orthogonal as you present it here.

If you want more volunteer developers you can't just simply claim "hey come
and help" praying they'll indeed come and help. You got to change first and
have a code base which is pleasant to work with. kdepim has been notoriously
bad at that for a long long while now. There's three main reasons for that:
 1) it is very old code which often ends up being overly complex;
 2) it tends to collect random features for no valid reason, often a by-
product of not having a defined vision;
 3) it has to deal with a complex domain (PIM is a complex field).

Only the complexity induced by (3) is valid and likely not a barrier for
developers to join (probably even motivating to some extent). The complexity
induced by (1) and (2) on the other hand makes it extremely hard for
developers to be motivated to help or stick around for a longer time.

The work on the vision and the moves to streamline the code base (removing
some of the features in the process) are aimed at addressing the unneeded
complexity generated by (1) and (2).

If it becomes more pleasant to work with that code base again, it'll be easier
to focus on really polishing the features pleasing our users more and it'll
remove a barrier for developers to join.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net