[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 22:08:25 BST 2015

On Friday 31 July 2015 19:26:24 Volker Krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> over the past 19 years KMail has accumulated a few features that have been
> needed and useful at some point, but have become obsolete for various
> reasons. They clutter the UI and increase the amount of code that has to be
> maintained. At the PIM meeting at Akademy we therefore discussed to be
> slightly more aggressive than so far in cleaning this up.
>
> More ideas?

I'd like to throw Aggregation and Theme (from View->Message List) into the
ring. I've never even tried to understand the different configuration options.
I just played around with them until I had my classic standard mailing list
style back. Do we really need 24 different message list styles (8 aggregation
modes times 3 themes, 2 of which seem to be basically identical)?

I bet the answer it no. I bet only a handful are widely used. Most widely used
is of course the default. And then there are a few power users and a few old
timers (like me) who use standard mailing list or threaded (unless threaded is
already the default).

BTW, IMNSHO the code behind the message list is ridiculously complex and
impossible to maintain. Fixing a seemingly trivial bug in this code (selecting
a certain sorting via the context menu entry had the weird side effect that
the Sender or Receiver column was displayed) took me the whole PIM sprint in
Brno. In the end it was caused by several (for no apparent reason)
indirections of signal connections, i.e. the bug was an obvious victim of the
code's unnecessary complexity.

Regards,
Ingo