[Kde-pim] kdepim unbuildable with kdesrc-build

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 09:54:04 BST 2015

Hi pim-devs,

I just spent two hours trying to build kdepim. I finally succeeded and I have
a running kdepim from master again. Hey, I don't have the time to spend hours
on trying to build kdepim, this is blocking my work.

Let's go a step back and look at the root problem: one cannot build kdepim if
an older version is installed. So I run kdesrc-build last week, which worked
for hundreds of projects, but failed for kdepim, because it tries to link
outdated installed files instead of the newly build ones. I ignored it last
week, but this morning kmail crashed and I was unable to start due to newer
libraries errors (kmime and others were updated after all). So I had to try to
build kmail.

The experience is horrible: I had to figure out which files to delete, by
manually running make, see the error message, delete the offending file, run
make again, wait and continue.

Unfortunately all of that did not help, in the end I did:
./extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kdesrc-build --refresh-build kdepim

Which did not just a refresh-build of kdepim, no! It started the complete
module with 21 projects. Unfortunately kdepim means the module-set and the
module. So I wasted another half an hour compile time on rebuilding stuff I
didn't need.

As you can read from this mail: I'm rather frustrated by the build setup of
kdepim. Could you please fix that stuff. If you want kde-developers to test
pim, make sure that it can be build with kdesrc-build. If you cannot ensure
it, remove it from kdesrc-build. Running kdesrc-build and afterwards having a
situation where
a) you cannot start kdepim any more
b) you cannot compile it
isn't really helpful for getting people to test your latest work. If I have a
broken kmail after running kdesrc-build I must look for another email client
as I cannot spend 2 hours every few days to get back to my mails.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin

P.S.: I'm not subscribed to this mailing list