[Kde-pim] Creating a kdepim git meta repo

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Aug 15 19:14:42 BST 2015

Am Samstag, 15. August 2015, 18:21:22 schrieb Sergio Martins:
> Hi,

Hi from Debconf,

> I fear we're losing potential contributors because KDEPIM is not trivial to
> build.
>
> Lowering the cost of setting up a pim devel environment would help getting
> more contributions from:
>
> - The random guy that just wants to fix a one-liner
> - Senior ex-pim-developer who only has 30m a week to spend on development
> - Young ex-pim-developer that has.. kids.
> - The new guys that go into #kde-devel asking which projects need porting to
> kf5
>

> Sure there's kdesrc-build, but that's still one more tool to learn and not
> every people like it.
>

> The way I picture it, it *shouldn't* be harder than:
>
> 1) Install KF5 and 3rd party libraries from your distro
>
> 2) git clone kdepim-meta-repo (which would have submodules for kdepim.git,
> kdepim-runtime.git, akonadi, and more 15 repos with the libraries)
>
> 3) cmake && make
>

> Any input, specially from the ex-pimsters ?

I quite managed to build the kdepim 4 to /usr/local and set it up to be used
as a replacement of the packaged one. But this does not work anymore with
since I have Plasma 5 on this machine. It doesn´t pickup the old env vars.

So, I´d also like to know how to actually test my build with Plasma 5.
Granted, I didn´t search for any solution yet, so if its documented, I
probably find it.

Also since I found using the patch review process was something for me to
learn. I really appreciate on and off like 30 minute to 1 hour task. So I
rather concentrate on bug triaging for now.

Thanks,
--
Martin