[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Sandro Knauß mail at sandroknauss.de
Sat Aug 1 16:46:47 BST 2015

Hey,

> - How many users use the feature? Maybe a survey can help with that. Another
> way would be to ask on kdepim-users and maybe other mailinglists to gather
> some user feedback.

this is a great idea, to do that to get a feedback, how widly a feature is
used. But unforunatelly this all also needs time to prepare the survey, wait
for users to run the survey and than afterwards collect the data. It would be
great if someone steps up to do this. Also we can make sure, that this surey
says, that we will to remove these featueres if nobody steps up. So maybe the
survery can be used to find new developers. Because we have two options:
reduce the code size so it is possible for us to really be able to read and
fix bugreports or getting more developer.

> - What is the actual maintenance cost of the feature? If its low, I see no
> point to remove it for easier maintenance.

well we are no company, so we don't need to calculate that in detail. But yes
this is actually the question behind it. But it is also about to find an idea
of what is used and what not (anymore). I'm against removing featueres, too,
if they work. But often I find featuere in the code I di't knew they are
there, so that's why this list came up, to get a reponse if they are still in
used by dev-near people. Because we have first select a list of thing, we
don't care, and afterwards we can try find people that may be step up.

> And of course whether it fits into the vision. And for that I ask: Is there
> a vision? I am not aware of one. Maybe due to me not being at Akademy. If
> there is, I would like to know about it.

We actually had made a session at akadamy to create one vision, but we are
waiting for reponse from some people before we wanna spread the vision.

> I hope it will be possible to talk about things like this at Randa. I will
> be there. I would also like what would be required as maintenance for a
> feature. Maybe for the journal I´d even step in.

yeah found one developer already :)

regads,

sandro