[Kde-pim] Cleaning up obsolete features

Sandro Knauß mail at sandroknauss.de
Sat Aug 1 17:03:04 BST 2015

Hey,

> But for me the real problem is not to reduce code, but perhaps be able to
> have more developers and we need to have developer will work during all the
> year and not just during sprint or akademy.

Yes you are right, i also see this as the main problem of our team. But anyhow
we should actually either find new devs or we have to reduce the codebase that
is mantainable.

> Because if we remove some part of code but we don't have more developer I
> don't see how it will improve situation no ?

well code per developers gets better - less code lesser bugs -> improve the
code qualaty. That is actually the idea behind it. For sure one line of code
is not equal.

> To improve the situation we need real maintainer for several part of code
> for example for all resources because for the moment as we have a lot of
> part of code which are not maintaining.
> I read a lot of bug report about kmail but it's not kmail but some bugs in
> resources for example.

I see resources also as "features" from akonadi - so yeah we should also
reduce the list of supported resources, if we can't handle them.

> Removing codes can be sense sometime but if nobody fixes existing bug it
> will not improve the situation.

But we are unable to fix bugs, because we have no time to do that, because the
workload is to much for each of us - Or Not? I strongly recommend to focus at
the moment at bugfixing instead of adding new features. On the other hand I
know nobody, that is not focusing at bugfixing, so how we can impove  the
situation from our side?

Me and Christian are still busy in fixing bugs for munic. I hope we can
push/prepare our bugfixes to kdepim at randa. Don't be scared this time it is
a lot less code, because there are nearly no new feauteres.

reagrds,

sandro