[Kde-pim] Restructuring Baloo

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sun Sep 21 15:17:28 BST 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 19 September 2014 16:45:29 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > * We can move the reading/writing of tags to KFileMetaData as it is
> > "metadata" related.
>

> This sounds like a fairly large-scale API shuffling to me. I don't know
> where
> baloo lives in the hierarchy of dependencies wrt. kfilemetadata, but
> everyone
> who depends on baloo for tagging and rating must now depend on something
> else
> (which again, depending on the dependency tree might be something they
> already
> have, but you're still breaking an API and forcing source changes on third
> parties).

Baloo has a hard dependency on KFileMetadata, so the dependency chain will
not be a problem. The breaking of API definitely will be. We're currently
not offering ABI or API stability in Baloo until it becomes a framework. A
lot of the APIs in Baloo were hurried out for the 4.13 release.

I will invest some time in porting all the applications which use the
current tagging API to minimize breakage - Dolphin, Gwenview and Digikam.

> [ade]

Vishesh Handa