[Kde-pim] Review Request 120395: Removed the minimum string length from Kontact quick search

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Mon Sep 29 18:56:58 BST 2014

Am Montag, 29. September 2014, 16:55:46 schrieb Wyatt Childers:
> > On Sept. 29, 2014, 9:28 a.m., Dan Vrátil wrote:
> > > I generally welcome being able to search for three-letter shortcuts (I
> > > can't even search for "KDE" now :P), but I think that removing the
> > > string length constraint completely is not a good idea. At least one-
> > > and two-letter strings should be ignored - that's simply because
> > > matching "K" and "KD" will be expensive and will very rarely yield
> > > anything useful.
> > >
> > > Also, you probably need to adapt
> > > messagelist/tests/quicksearchlinetest.cpp to this change, otherwise the
> > > test will be failing.>
> > Laurent Montel wrote:
> >     I already done last friday.
> >     Please update your source code.
> >     And yes correct fix was not to remove all checks :)
> >     Regards.
> >
> > Wyatt Childers wrote:
> >     I was thinking about that, however, it seems kind of buggy that the
> >     interface doesn't respond. Also, someone legitmately might want to
> >     search for something like "BB" in a subject line.
> Also, other things search for short sequences, noteably the start menu, and
> krunner will act upon any length of text. Additionally, from what I found
> the way the search boxes are implemented, they don't perform the search
> until the user stops typing, thus unwanted searches for some letter, or
> some pair of letters would in theory be quite rare.

Would be good to be able to search for short terms somehow explicitly. For
example, a search for a term (even if two letters only) would be triggered
when ENTER is pressed.

Alternatively one can use an adaptive behavior, so the search for 'XY' is
started only if you don't type the third letter within a given timeframe.

Best regards,
Andreas

--
Kindermode Online - Fashion for Kids