[Kde-pim] Killing kpimutils framework

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Sep 29 20:48:04 BST 2014

Hello,

On Monday 29 September 2014 13:42:17 Daniel Vratil wrote:
> Email - should be renamed to EmailAddress and could be moved to KCodecs -
> it's a generic email address parser/validation tool that could be useful in
> many cases outside PIM.

I'm not sure it is a good thing to have such a validator there. IMO it is
getting far from being a simple codec at that point... OTOH I don't think we
have a framework which would be better suited ATM.

> The reason for moving it to KCodecs instead of
> KCoreAddons is that it depends on KMime::{encode,decode}RFC2047String()
> methods and there's already decodeRFC2047String() available in KCodecs, so
> if we add encodeRFC2047String() to KCodecs (which IMO makes sense), we
> could move it there. Maybe we could move the "more robust" encode/decode
> implementation from KMime into KCodecs too when at it.

That definitely makes sense.

> EmailValidator - a simple QValidator subclass that uses the above-mentioned
> Email class to validate email addresses. Because of that, it would have to
> go to KCodecs too, and KCodecs would have to depend on QtGui - if that's
> possible/reasonable.

KCodecs depending on QtGui is a big no-no.

> KFileIO - methods for reading and writing files that will do all possible
> and impossible error handling for you. Not sure if it makes sense to have
> this around - error messages from QFile should be already localized from
> lib. Could either be removed, or could be moved to KCoreAddons - I'd just
> port it away from KMessageBox and let applications to show the error on
> their own.

Looks like something which can go away IMO. If I trust lxr it's almost unused.

> LinkLocator - probably another adept for KCodecs or KCoreAddons - given a
> text, it can extract all email addresses from it (not using the Email class
> above), convert text into HTML (stuff like */_ markup and links are
> converted into HTML entities)  - it also supports converting smileys into
> inline images using KEmoticons - which again makes it problematic to put it
> into a Tier 1 framework - we could only remove the smileys support to get
> rid of that dependency, otherwise I don't know what other framework would
> be a good home for this class.

Again it looks somewhat odd to me in KCodecs. KCoreAddons could do if it
wasn't for the KEmoticons dependency. That one could be handled through the
frameworkintegration plugin though in the same way we have a soft dependency
on KConfig for KMessageBox which is in KWidgetsAddons.

> ProgressIndicatorLabel and ProgressIndicatorWidget - widgets that show a
> spinner animation and a label when you call start() on it, and hides when
> you call stop() - we though it could be moved to KWidgetAddons, but
> unfortunatelly it requires KIconLoader from KIconTheme (Tier 3) framework
> to be able to load progressindicator icon/animation from /usr/share/icons,
> so for now we move it to kdepim/pimcommon/widgets (since it's only used in
> KDE PIM apps), and try to figure out what to do with that later.

Makes sense.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net