[Kde-pim] MailTransport sendmail related Akonadi error

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 21:32:12 BST 2014

On Thursday 09 Oct 2014 10:44:05 Daniel Vratil wrote:
> On Monday 06 of October 2014 23:55:33 David Jarvie wrote:
> > When I try to send a mail (in KAlarm) using sendmail,
> > MailTransport::MessageQueueJob returns an error "Unable to add item part".
> > This is from an ItemCreateJob set up in
> > MessageQueueJob::Private::outboxRequestResult(). Can anybody help as to why
> > this is happening? I attach the output shown in the akonadiconsole Debugger
> > (saved as rich text) and Query Debugger tabs. The errors can be seen at the
> > end of each log file.
>
> Hi,
>
> from the logs I deduced that you are using Akonadi 1.12. There seems to be
> something very weird with your MySQL database:
>
>  "Error: Duplicate entry '56-' for key 'PartTable_pimItemIdNameIndex' QMYSQL3:
> Unable to execute statement "
>
> PimItemId - Name is a UNIQUE index in PartTable - except for that "name"
> column has been removed from PartTable in 1.12, so you should not have this
> index at all. The index apparently was not removed for some reason, and now it
> behaves as a unique index for the PimItemId column only, which prevents
> Akonadi from appending more than one Part to each item. I'm wondering how
> Akonadi can work at all for you...
>
> To fix this, run
>
> DROP INDEX PartTable_pimItemIdNameIndex ON PartTable
>
> from Akonadi console (or just connect to MySQL directly), that should fix
> things.

Thanks - that fixed it. The Akonadi version may be a bit mixed up - the database may have originally been created with 1.12, but I haven't run 1.12 for quite some time. I quite often accidentally run version 1.7, which is my distro's installed version, and then have to restart the server using 1.13 for KDE development.

It does concern me that PIM functions which depend on Akonadi can be disabled because of database weirdness. It would be very desirable for there to be database validation (on server startup perhaps?) which would either fix errors automatically, or at the very least report them and tell the user how to fix them (preferably without having to resort to manual methods such as akonadiconsole). I don't know how practical this is, but it might prevent a number of users giving up on Akonadi.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.