[Kde-pim] Async messages retrieval

Daniel Vratil dvratil at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 20:51:31 BST 2014

On Monday 29 of September 2014 22:11:34 Reddy B. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much for Kontact, it convinced me to use a PIM for organizing
> my daily life. You have done an amazing work !!
>
> There is something that would really enhance the user experience in KMail :
> asynchronous programming. Whether I remove a message from my inbox or double
> click on a message that needs to be retrieved from the server, I really
> experience that the UI thread is blocked and I often have to wait 5-10s
> before being able to use the window again.

Hi,

this totally should not happen. Could you please attach gdb to Kontact and try
to get a backtrace when it freezes so that we know exactly where it is stuck?

> I know that async stuff are not fun at all in C++, but making at least the
> messages retrieval operations async would be greatly beneficial. This is the
> only issue I've found with Kontact so far but this issue causes a real
> inconvenience since emails are a corner-stone.

All communication with storage service (Akonadi) is happening asynchronously,
so the problem must be somewhere else, but it's hard to tell without the
backtrace :-)

Thanks,

Daniel

> Best,
>
> Reddy

Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team
Associate Software Engineer, Red Hat

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348