[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 30 18:08:27 GMT 2014

On Friday 28 November 2014 20.29:42 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 26 November 2014 13:16:49 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > API-wise, while we can't completely get rid of the "imperative" API of
> > having jobs, the core method to provide access to data would be through
> > models. Making use of storage data versioning, on update the model simply
> > requests changes between current and last revision of the stored data.
> > This
> > should prevent us from ending up with overcomplicated beast-models like
> > ETM.
>
> When you say models you meant QAIM subclasses? I'd be rather concerned about
> an almost QAIM only API for data access. I'd expect something more
> agnostic. Definitely live queries which update themselves automatically.
> Definitely ways to be precise in what you retrieve (right now I tend to
> fetch too much and throw away half of it). But definitely not something
> which mandates collection/item trees or QAIM. That looks like too much
> coupling to me.

Aaron already clarified most things already, but let me add a couple of points
=)

I'm obviously borrowing ideas from other async and reactive frameworks,
including zanshin ;-) I intend to write in parallel with Akonadi Next (is that
a name now?), a generic async library.

The scope will be:
* an async imperative style async API (jobs)
* composable jobs
* async control flow (map(for)/filter(if)/reduce) for jobs
* reactive collections
* perhaps also generic models on top of reactive collections (like what's in
zanshin)

This library should become a general purpose async library (kasync?), that we
would rely on for a large part of the API.

I should spec out some of the features I want to have, write a blogpost, and
start a discussion.... I already did some planning during the pim sprint with
daniel.

Once that is ready I'll definitely get back to you for your input ;-)