[Kde-pim] KMail seems to loose connection to Akonadi at times

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 22:29:49 GMT 2014

On Monday 03 November 2014 11:26:24 Daniel Vratil wrote:
> From this description it sounds like the session is stuck (that's why
> the window closes, but the event loop won't quit, as the Akonadi
> Session is still active. You can debug this bug trying to log
> communications between KMail and server:
>
> export AKONADI_SESSION_LOGFILE=/tmp/akonadi.log
> kmail

I tried this, but /tmp/akonadi.log wasn't even created. Maybe my KMail
is too old?

Anyway, before I looked up your message I ran akonadiconsole when KMail
was stuck. In one of the many tabs in the Debugger tab (in a tab called
"kmail2-<some number> (some hex number)") I found the following command
(without reply):

785 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID REMOTEID
REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME PLD:HEAD)

After shutting down and restarting KMail, I could reproduce the problem
by selecting the same message (resp. the same folder in the problematic
account; the message is selected automatically by KMail) that caused the
problem the first time. This time I found the following in
akonadiconsole

15 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR ANCESTORS 1 EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID
REMOTEID REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME
ATR:ErrorAttribute)
15 NO Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 0) : Unable to
retrieve item from resource: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.
16 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID REMOTEID
REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME PLD:HEAD)

Once the account goes bad, I can reproduce the problem after each
restart of KMail simply by selecting the problematic folder.

I tried whether killing the problematic agent helps. If I do this then
KMail no longer gets stuck when I select the problematic folder. But
KMail cannot display the message either. In akonadiconsole I see

15 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR ANCESTORS 1 EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID
REMOTEID REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME
ATR:ErrorAttribute)
15 NO Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 0) : Unable to
contact resource
16 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID REMOTEID
REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME PLD:HEAD)
16 NO Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 0) : Unable to
contact resource
17 UID FETCH 441172 FULLPAYLOAD ALLATTR EXTERNALPAYLOAD (UID REMOTEID
REMOTEREVISION COLLECTIONID FLAGS SIZE DATETIME PLD:HEAD)
17 NO Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 0) : Unable to
contact resource

This makes sense because the agent has not been restarted.

Regards,
Ingo