[Kde-pim] KMail seems to loose connection to Akonadi at times

Daniel Vratil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 10:26:24 GMT 2014

On Saturday 01 of November 2014 17:00:01 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 1. November 2014, 10:36:26 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > Hello Pimsters,
> >
> > I am using KDEPIM 4.14.2 at the moment and it mostly works quite well.
> > Better than others versions before.
> >
> > Yet I have one issue: Sometimes it appears to me KMail looses connection
> > Akonadi completely. Then it just sits there, displaying the blue
> > retrieving
> > display I do not see often or for long anymore with my POP3 and Dovecot
> > IMAP setups at least (with Exchange IMAP at work this is a different
> > story), or displaying the wait animation at the folders I click on in the
> > folder list, while at the same time Akonadi is doing *nothing*.
> >
> > It sits there like this then.
> >
> > I can even restart Akonadi, but KMail would still sit there, apparently
> > waiting for an Akonadi that at the same time actually is ready to serve.
> >
> > Only when I also restart KMail and just closing the window and starting it
> > again often is not enough, I need to really make sure the process is gone
> > by using killall kmail (with SIGTERM, no SIGKILL needed). Then everything
> > works again for quite a while usually.
>
> I also tried out now *just* restarting KMail while leaving Akonadi alone.
> This worked also. I just have to make sure KMail process is gone, closing
> its main application window in that case is not sufficient to achieve this.

From this description it sounds like the session is stuck (that's why the
window closes, but the event loop won't quit, as the Akonadi Session is still
active. You can debug this bug trying to log communications between KMail and
server:

export AKONADI_SESSION_LOGFILE=/tmp/akonadi.log
kmail

This way, when it happens, we will know which command has caused the session
to get stuck. You could also try to get a full backtrace of the Akonadi
server, but that will only provide useful detail in case you are running into
some kind of a deadlock (QMutex or database).

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348