[Kde-pim] KContacts, KXMLRPC. Moving forward

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Nov 10 16:45:48 GMT 2014

Hi,
I would like to get permission to have these 2 repositories finally split
into separate repositories and have them promoted as KDE Frameworks.

I think these 2 are important because they are blocking other parts of KDE
from going forward:
- KXMLRPC: There's a sad fork of it in plasma-workspace so that dr konqi
can use it. This would solve the issue in time for Plasma 5.2 release and
also would allow other projects to use it.
- KContacts (former libkabc): It's a major dependency of KPeople, which is
ready to be released. KTp is waiting for a KPeople release to embrace it as
a dependency and KPeople is waiting for KContacts to be released.

I'm suggesting to only split those two (by grafting, like we did with most
of kde-runtime, kde-workspace and kdelibs) so that we don't disrupt the
ongoing development process in kdepim and akonadi, but still we get to
leverage on the good technologies KDE PIM provided over time by the rest of
KDE.

If agreed, I'll do the splitting and stabilization work myself, during this
week.

Cheers!
Aleix