[Kde-pim] kdepim-plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 06:09:14 GMT 2014

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 18.41:03 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Huh? Why would our *users* need to migrate any data when we switch akonadi +
> apps from Qt4 to Qt5? The storage stays the same after all.

While Akonadi data would not migrate, there are application settings to
migrate now that the location of those has changed (at least in the upstream
defaults). From a user's POV, they will have upgraded to the "next version" as
the applications will have the new style and icons (among whatever other
changes come along) only to have to "upgrade again" when the new new storage
layer appears.

My concern is that this will end up similar to how the multi-stage upgrades in
KDEPIM4 ended up feeling.

If the time frame is reasonable, it would be nice to be able to provide a one-
time upgrade as this will likely feel more thought-out and complete to the
user.

Another related but different thing we need to consider is data migration. At
the sprint, Till stated this was quite important and was not, in his opinion,
given enough attention soon enough with Akonadi and left many users unhappy.
Once the new storage layer is complete, we probably need to budget some time
to write a migration tool.

--
Aaron J. Seigo