[Kde-pim] kdepim-plasma

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Nov 28 11:20:57 GMT 2014

On Friday 28 November 2014 07:09:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, November 27, 2014 18.41:03 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Huh? Why would our *users* need to migrate any data when we switch akonadi
> > + apps from Qt4 to Qt5? The storage stays the same after all.
>
> While Akonadi data would not migrate, there are application settings to
> migrate now that the location of those has changed (at least in the upstream
> defaults). From a user's POV, they will have upgraded to the "next version"
> as the applications will have the new style and icons (among whatever other
> changes come along) only to have to "upgrade again" when the new new
> storage layer appears.
>
> My concern is that this will end up similar to how the multi-stage upgrades
> in KDEPIM4 ended up feeling.

The change of some icons is completely different from the data migration
issues in PIM when we moved to Akonadi. Really, I don't buy this.

> If the time frame is reasonable, it would be nice to be able to provide a
> one- time upgrade as this will likely feel more thought-out and complete to
> the user.
>
> Another related but different thing we need to consider is data migration.
> At the sprint, Till stated this was quite important and was not, in his
> opinion, given enough attention soon enough with Akonadi and left many
> users unhappy. Once the new storage layer is complete, we probably need to
> budget some time to write a migration tool.

Exactly. One more reason to get Akonadi Qt5/KF5-ified and released asap. It's
not like this is going to take much work. And most of this will be required
anyways, independent of the storage layer.

Bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de