[Kde-pim] kdepim-plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 26 16:27:30 GMT 2014

Hi Sandro,

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 17:08:47 Sandro Knauß wrote:
> > To me, the plan proposed does not sound like its considering the full user
> > and stakeholder base. There's also no sufficient transition plan that
> > solves our (Plasma's) problems. The most positive thing that came up (and
> > not in the proposal, but in this thread, is a library without any
> > guarantees). That's not very encouraging for something as sensible and
> > central to the user experience as personal data.
>
> well with frameworks  kdepimlibs is splitted to independend libs. So we can
> indivendually say, what is in a API/ABI stable base. So a list of
> used/needed libs you use from kdepimlibs would be great, so we can
> individually look at there current state.
>
> Would it help to say, that we have only the possible to break the ABI/API
> once  a year/...? For sure we want to give a good user expierience, so we
> have figure out how we can get the different parts together.

Martin and Aleix have a good overview of what APIs we need exactly in PIM.
I'll let them fill me in here.

> > That means to not cobble huge changes in different areas into one huge
> > project, but a baby-steps approach to changes. I think we've seen with the
> > KDE4 transition how well this huge projects work -- they're essentially a
> > good way to endanger a project's future.
>
> Have not to massive changes is the main reason, why we wanna have a qt5
> version out soonisch and not to make same error like the transistion to qt4
> and akonadi. master is more or less in state to release. But on the other
> hand the codebase needs to be refactored ( i'm talking here about parts of
> the kdepimlibs,resources,...)...
>
> A completly other thing is "akonadi next", what is still only a plan of the
> future of akonadi. So please do not hold back anything in expectation of
> "akonadi next". Also for kdepim we mant to make the life  as easy as
> possible, so we figuer out a good migration when it is time for it!

Yes, exactly. I get now that "Akonadi 2" is a different thing, and an
implementation detail in PIM. The proposal in the slides mentioned to not
release a Qt5/KF5 version before "Akonadi 2" is done, that's what worries me.
I understand that's off the table? It contradicts a lot of other statements I
read in this thread.

sebas