[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 26 14:12:23 GMT 2014

Hi PIMsters,

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 13:16:49 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Aaron has also shared some slides [0] that Christian presented on the
> sprint  regarding this change

> [0] https://plus.google.com/+AaronSeigo/posts/Xt7HNZJV5UJ

The proposed plan worries me. If the port to KF5 and the radical redesign
which is proposed go together, which they do (the port is just a dev cycle, no
release, so it's not a user-visible artifact), that means the following:

- Less branches to maintain, there's stable (KDE4libs-based) and there's dev
(KF5-based, akonadi redesigned from a certain point, etc.)

- For Plasma, we'll have to ship the KDE4libs-based version forever (or at
least until the transition is done and stabilized, from experience and given
the current strength of the community, 4 years?

- We'd need a way to access and integrate data from the KDE4libs-based Akonadi
stack, such as calendaring, addressbooks, and perhaps at some point even email
(I'd like to revive Lion Mail somewhen, I don't see how I could do that with
the proposed plans still within my event horizon.) The current plan almost
forces us to reconsider integrating Plasma with KDEPIM, and go look for other
solutions.

- Moving to Wayland with a lot of Qt4 baggage will be hard. Add a ton of other
things why we'd need Qt5 to that.

- The plan may make sense for enterprise scenarios, where a migration to PIM/5
is realistically many years away, but users who'd like to lift their whole
stack to Qt5/KF5 before that?

To me, the plan proposed does not sound like its considering the full user and
stakeholder base. There's also no sufficient transition plan that solves our
(Plasma's) problems. The most positive thing that came up (and not in the
proposal, but in this thread, is a library without any guarantees). That's not
very encouraging for something as sensible and central to the user experience
as personal data.

So, how would a perfect transition look like from my POV:
- Port as-is to Qt5, Frameworks 5
- Stabilize that port, get users to use this port as soon as possible
- Do not change protocols, API, etc. there unless really necessary to make
  porting easier and reduce the migration cost
- Once there's a stable Qt5-based Akonadi/PIM released, start the redesign
  effort, if possible in small steps as to not drift away into "development
  land where there are no users for years to come"
- Once the viability of a redesign has been proven, in terms of architecture,
  maintenance and migration, make it usable

That means to not cobble huge changes in different areas into one huge
project, but a baby-steps approach to changes. I think we've seen with the
KDE4 transition how well this huge projects work -- they're essentially a good
way to endanger a project's future.

Thanks a lot for your consideration.

sebas