[Kde-pim] PIM Sprint report: Akonadi Next

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 21:26:21 GMT 2014

On Friday, November 28, 2014 20.29:42 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> When you say models you meant QAIM subclasses? I'd be rather concerned about
> an almost QAIM only API for data access. I'd expect something more
> agnostic. Definitely live queries which update themselves automatically.

The idea is to have declarative queries (DQ?) which are updated automatically.
The proposed design is meant to make this possible.

The models would just be there to structure results for use by the UI,
specifically targeting QML in the long term where QAIM is already mandated by
design.

In theory, one could iterate the data in a variety of more "raw" ways, but
generally we envision DQs which populate models as the typical read mechanism.

For creation/mutation, that happens with commands which are formulated
separately from the models and put into a command queue. When the command is
successfully carried out the client gets an update notifications and that
triggers whatever reads are needed.

Typical reactive ....

> Definitely ways to be precise in what you retrieve (right now I tend to
> fetch too much and throw away half of it).

Yes; this is absolutely one of the big problems. When viewing this week in
your calendar, you really don't need the whole #($*ing calendar going back 3
years ;)

> But definitely not something
> which mandates collection/item trees or QAIM. That looks like too much
> coupling to me.

It won't be trees as the models need to be usable from QML. So they'll be
lists at best. One of my hopes is that the new design will be easy enough to
use on the client side (with the right API plastered on top) that we will be
able to write as many purpose specific models as we need/want without worry or
pain.

Basically the opposite of ETM: many simple, purpose built models that are
cheap enough to write that you can create them even if you might throw them
away next week.

The points you touched on caused the filling of numerous white boards and
notebook pages over the last few months :) They are indeed some of the most
central issues ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo