[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 17:16:26 BST 2014

On Friday 02 May 2014 11:28:22 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > 3.) During the folder sync, it is nearly impossible to click a message in
> > the folder. You will have to wait extremely long. This should not be the
> > case. Fetching a message content should be completely independent from
> > syncing the folder and should only be limited by physical things like
> > connection speed, disk i/o, cpu load, ram etc.
>
> It cannot be independent, because in the background it shares the same
> database, where database locking and long transactions (known problem,
> again)   lead to retrieval operations taking long time.

So there is nothing there can be done about that? Not even in theory?
This is a major limitation imho.
So the database is locked for writes during the sync right? But akonadi knows
which message to sync ... It could do that and commit changes to the database
when lock is over, no? What are the special things it does have to write to
the database which is locked? I suppose the read/unread flag in the first place
and for imap the message contents right? Couldn't the message you are trying
to read be fetched into a buffer that is queued to commit to the database
later?