[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 11:42:15 BST 2014

On Friday 02 May 2014 11:28:22 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > 2.) Syncing a folder begins with the oldest messages. If the account is
> > big, it takes some time till you reach the latest message. In reality,
> > you might be more interested in you latest mails at first, so doing that
> > in reverse order would allow you to make use of kmail instantly, without
> > waiting for the sync being complete.
>
> That's very hard, because in IMAP, you can only query sets of items in
> ascending order (1 being the oldest message), so we can only query 1:*
> (from  first to last), not *:1.

Yeah I know, Trojita does also start fetching from the bottom, but Trojita
seems to count the number of messages first without fetching any headers etc.,
so seconds after setting up the account, it shows you how many mails are in
the respective folders and starts caching when you click the folder. (Before
the fetch it will simply show you placeholders for all the elements in the
folder and start fetching only the elements that can be seen in the current
view. The scrollbar lets you scroll at the top and will fetch immediately at
the top, without having fetched all the older stuff.)

I hope my description can be understood, otherwise I will make a screencast
exactly showing what I mean.