[Kde-pim] Akonadi mail performance outlook

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 20:50:40 BST 2014

Hi,

I am using Akonadi for my mail setup now more intensively than every before
and have an mail account with over 10 000 mails atm. This is enough to see
some performance issues associated with Akonadi.
Here are my top 3 (in the following folder sync means when you have just
created your account and you click a folder):

1.) When configuring an imap account (gmail in my case) and you click a folder
in kmail, the sync will begin. (No special settings, just created the account
with the account wizard). If you click another folder now, nothing happens, it
will wait till the initial folder is completely synced.
This is not exactly asynchronous and should be addressed.

2.) Syncing a folder begins with the oldest messages. If the account is big,
it takes some time till you reach the latest message. In reality, you might be
more interested in you latest mails at first, so doing that in reverse order
would allow you to make use of kmail instantly, without waiting for the sync
being complete.

3.) During the folder sync, it is nearly impossible to click a message in the
folder. You will have to wait extremely long. This should not be the case.
Fetching a message content should be completely independent from syncing the
folder and should only be limited by physical things like connection speed,
disk i/o, cpu load, ram etc.

4.)  Please implement parallelism in Session and Resources, to avoid the
authentication dialog blocking all Akonadi ressources, if one server does not
respond.

The idea behind this is, to be able to configure your account and start being
productive right away, without having to wait, till akonadi has cached
everything. The only component that works like this atm, is sending mails,
that works right away, but for everything else you would want to do (read mail
and respond) etc. you have to wait.
I have not tried mail filters yet during initial sync, but I think they will
work in parallel.

I know that implementing this might not be trivial, it would be a long term
wish though. It has nothing to do with criticism, in fact I am a fan of
akonadi and I respect the enormous efforts of the devs.

Once Akonadi is up and running, everything is pretty fast in my experience,
not even trojita is faster. But for initial setup it is still lacking in terms
of  the time you have to wait to start working.
I know, some are of the opinion that you do not recreate your mail account
every day, but I think, especially for big account, addressing the first 3
issues would really be cool.

Greetings,

GEO